Re: [OM] iPhone et al

Subject: Re: [OM] iPhone et al
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2010 11:36:32 -0700
On 10/28/2010 8:16 AM, Scott Gomez wrote:
> That, my friend, is a hardware issue.

Yup, and I believe Chris is well aware of that. The computers he is having
trouble with belong to others, MOD and a
church, as I recall, and he has no control over the hardware.

> (And by the way, I loathe Vista/Windows 7, I'd much rather have kept the UI
> from XP).

I guess I'm just dumb. I found Vista easier to use and even more stable than
XP. So far, several months, 7 on my
Netbook+ has been much the same, except even smarter about recognizing and
connecting to pretty much anything I attach
to it. (Going 64 bit  has finally made it impossible to use the LJ1000 printer.
HP ain't going to write a 64 bit driver.
Not Windoze' fault, tho.)

And I can see where they've done a lot of little things to help the
non-thoughtful. Right click on the bottom bar, and
the XP option "Stack windows Vertically" has become "Show Windows side by side".

My Vista machine is probably pretty typical of techie sorts, with everything
from SCSI to eSATA devices connected and a
bewildering array of apps, big and small, known and unknown, installed. (What
does That do? Oh, well, I installed it, so
it must be for something useful - and I might need it later.")

Yet it just happily chugs along, stable as a rock, and allows me to do what I
want. Sure, there's something in the
ancient by computer standards LJ1000 printer driver that crashes when I print.
But it doesn't matter. The printing works
and I can just click to kill the notice. On the other hand, XP on Carol's
computer is giving trouble with the new, WI-FI
printer. At the moment, the driver just hangs. Thought I had that fixed ...
Vista? 7? No problemo.

And my pirated copy of a video convert and burn to DVD app seems to generate
some app crashes of Dllhost, but I think
only when I drag avi files into it. Again a couple of clicks, the notices go
away and everything goes ahead and does
what it is supposed to.

I'll get around to fixing that stuff one day, or maybe it'll hang on 'til the
next hardware upgrade. The point is, the
OS just goes serenely on.

Of course, I'm just a guy with four computers, network connected, but
essentially single user. I have no idea how they
work in big, multi-user environments. The XP desktop just isn't being used, so
I think it's off to the basement soon.

Happy User Moose