Re: [OM] Think you've got image data storage problems?

Subject: Re: [OM] Think you've got image data storage problems?
From: Charles Geilfuss <charles.geilfuss@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2010 10:52:11 -0400
  Actually my statement was incorrect but intentional. The fictional HAL
9000 was created in Urbana, IL but I just couldn't resist the urge. Also,
you don't have to get so esoteric as this telescope or the LHC to require
such large digital storage. Last year we looked in to a system for scanning
glass tissue slides for pathology. They are scanned at a resolution that
allows viewing on a monitor at 400x. Who needs a microscope? It is a very
nice system but the catch is that each scanned slide generates a 400Mb
file...and we look at about 200 slides a day. Do the math..LOTS of storage.
About 80 Gb per day. And we are required by CAP to retain slides and blocks
for 10 years.

Charlie