[OM] Autumn around the world, was: Nathan's PAD 31/10/2010: autumn in D

Subject: [OM] Autumn around the world, was: Nathan's PAD 31/10/2010: autumn in Denmark
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2010 18:53:12 -0400
Your post reminded me that I've been meaning to pose an autumn colors
question to the list.  Each week the local newspaper runs a column for
children called "Ask a Scientist".  Children write in with science
related questions and the newspaper selects a scientist from the local
university to answer the question.

A week ago the question had to to with leaves changing color in the
autumn.  The question was answered by a biologist who was identified as
a "visiting professor" but no information was given about where he was
from.  But I was rather astounded by the answer which, as a passing
comment, said that the only places in the world where leaves change
color before dropping off the trees in the fall are eastern North
America and north eastern Asia.

I was certain that leaves must also change color in northern Europe but
I haven't been to Europe or anywhere else outside North America in the
fall for about 40 years.  But certainly the Aspen trees in the southwest
United States turn brilliant yellow in the fall so I don't think he can
be right.

What do y'all think?

Chuck Norcutt