[OM] (OM) Autumn around the world

Subject: [OM] (OM) Autumn around the world
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 02 Nov 2010 02:08:43 +1300
Chuck wrote

> A week ago the question had to to with leaves changing color in the
> autumn.  The question was answered by a biologist who was identified as a
> "visiting professor" but no information was given about where he was from.
>  But I was rather astounded by the answer which, as a passing comment,
> said that the only places in the world where leaves change color before
> dropping off the trees in the fall are eastern North America and north
> eastern Asia.
>
> I was certain that leaves must also change color in northern Europe but I
> haven't been to Europe or anywhere else outside North America in the fall
> for about 40 years.  But certainly the Aspen trees in the southwest United
> States turn brilliant yellow in the fall so I don't think he can be right.
>
> What do y'all think?
>
> Chuck Norcutt

I think he is severely mistaken.
Canada; for example larch species (tamarack) as well as maples, oaks,
elms, birches and aspens, just off the top of my head.
Northern Europe ( well not even *northern* Europe, as winters in parts of
Spain, Portugal and Italy are severe enough to cause "autumn colour".
Genera involved?
Larch, birch, oak, beech, rowan, hornbeam, Platanus (sycamore), maples
(Acer) and alder just to name the obvious ones.
All of these genera are to be found right across the globe east of greater
Europe; Turkey, across to alpine Pakistan and India. Russia which goes
from east to west has Larch at least.
In New Zealand, the native tree fuchsia and some Plagianthus species do,
and Nothofagus in the spring when it loses its leaves.

In parts of NZ and Australia (Canberra for example) good-colouring species
from both China/Japan and North America (and elsewhere) are planted as
ornamentals for their autumn colour display. I was in Canberra in Easter
1964 and the colours were stunning. (Mostly Liquidambar and oaks, I think).
And Liriodendron.

Brian Swale.