Re: [OM] [OT] US weather radio advice needed

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] US weather radio advice needed
From: "Bill Pearce" <bs.pearce@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2010 13:29:00 -0500
Well, where I live used to be smack in the middle of tornado alley, although
that's changed lately. we here would recommed living in a part of town far
from trailer parks.

I have had several weather radios over the years, an all are made in china
and sold with unfamiliar brand names. MOst fail within one season at best.
What you want is one that allows you to set it to go off in only a small
area. Most take the general signal from the WB which usually covers a large
area of several counties, and the result is many alarms in the night that
bear no relevance to your location. There are now radios that allow you to
program in a special number that you get from the WB website that will just
give relevant alarms. That's what you want.

In my experience, the WB is generally the molst reliable source of
forecasts, but in our case, local TV is the best source of tornado warnings
(fat lot of good that does at 3am). We attract generally good meterologists
as the weather is so "interesting" here, so ymmv as they say. I wish oyu
luck, and if you find a good reliable one, let me know.

Whatever you need one with a battery backup so the special code is retained.

Bill Pearce