Re: [OM] Reminiscing [was: Re: iPhone et al]

Subject: Re: [OM] Reminiscing [was: Re: iPhone et al]
From: Michael Collins <MRC.OlympusList@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 03 Nov 2010 16:14:28 -0400
No need, you're already there, although some will claim that "the United
States of America [is] one of only three countries, along with Burma
(Myanmar) and Liberia, that still use customary units."

To wit:

"In 1875, the United States solidified its commitment to the development of
the internationally recognized metric system by becoming one of the original
seventeen signatory nations to the Metre Convention or the Treaty of the
Meter."

"Under the Mendenhall Order in 1893, metric standards, developed through
international cooperation under the auspices of BIPM, were adopted as the
fundamental standards for length and mass in the United States."

"On February 10, 1964, the National Bureau of Standards (former name of
National Institute of Standards and Technology) issued a statement that it
will use the metric system..."

"Congress passed the Metric Conversion Act of 1975 'to coordinate and plan
the increasing use of the metric system in the United States'."

And so on. I guess moles really took it to heart.

Michael