Re: [OM] Reminiscing [was: Re: iPhone et al]

Subject: Re: [OM] Reminiscing [was: Re: iPhone et al]
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2010 09:10:52 -0700
> From: "Bill Pearce" <bs.pearce@xxxxxxx>
>
> I didn't think it was a commie plot, just a dumb idea. Nothing to be gained
> for all the expense and trouble.

Except increased trade with the rest of the sane world!

There's a reason why the US exports mainly raw logs instead of finished wood
products: the US wood products industry largely refuses to make things in the
dimensions other countries want. And the same with steel, screws, widgets --
you name it.

I find it incredible that the people who scream "free trade!" the loudest are
generally the same people who resist metric units the strongest.

(And then there's the matter of the failed Mars mission, costing billions of
dollars, because one contractor was working in Imperial Units and all the
others were working in SI units...)

It would be great to wax rhapsodic about the "old" system of pounds, feet, etc.
I'd be first in line to do so, were it only made obsolete and thus deserving of
such fondness.