Re: [OM] Reminiscing [was: Re: iPhone et al]

Subject: Re: [OM] Reminiscing [was: Re: iPhone et al]
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2010 23:59:01 -0700
> From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>
>> No one will ever know who "bought" the election of 2010, but look for an
>> endless stream of this idiocy into the future, as long as the US holds
>> together -- which I give 20-30 years, tops.
>
> That's an odd accusation. Especially considering that the overall
> giving for both sides was substantially the same.

That's not what the Canadian press is reporting. They're saying the "Tea Party"
has deep, anonymous pockets behind them, out-spending rivals an average of 2:1.

> As to that supreme court decision--don't be histerical. It reversed
> bad laws and defined the limits of what can be governed.

Yea, by saying "anything goes!"

But of course, you are correct that it is a system of cheques and balances --
big business writes the cheques, and politicians balance that against going
down in the next election.

But I'm sure that the other two branches of government -- both of which are
elected -- will rein in the Supreme Court ruling any decade now... don't hold
your breath that the people who get the money are going to be able to agree to
give it up!

Integrity includes but goes beyond honesty. Honesty is telling the truth — in
other words, conforming our words to reality. Integrity is conforming reality
to our words — in other words, keeping promises and fulfilling expectations.
This requires an integrated character, a oneness, primarily with self but also
with life. -- Stephen R. Covey