Re: [OM] Reminiscing [was: Re: iPhone et al]

Subject: Re: [OM] Reminiscing [was: Re: iPhone et al]
From: Willie Wonka <alienspecimen@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2010 17:22:12 -0700 (PDT)
Oh, no...no...no... You got it backwards, Jan...:)

What you think of "free market capitalism" is actually a communism.  Thats
where resources are put together to satisfy a need.

Capitalism works the other way around.  You must create the need first...:)

Once you are "in", you become one of the many virus-like creatures that suck as
fast as possible the life of its host, in this case the dumb consumer.  You
need them dumb, dumb as a rock.  The dumber they are, the better for the
economy, coz money changes hands much easier...:)

In a mean time other opportunists are trying to get their foot in the door and
you put a lot of energy into trying to stop them, coz you know that it is all
air under pressure and whatever is cool today is worthless tomorrow.  So as you
see, another industry is born, to defend your position at the top by telling mr
or ms consumer how uncool the thing your competition offers is.  Thats how how
certain types of lawyers, advertisers, lobyists, copywriters and other scum is
born...And thats how funding for schools gets cut by the corrupt politicians,
coz there is alway a need for stupid, greedy people to aid the sluggish
economy...:)

HTH

Best

Boris

On Nov 4, 2010, at 2:44 AM, Andrew Fildes wrote:

> I was astonished by some of the objections I saw to universal health care in
> the US. Seemed to be based on some strange misconceptions that must make
> sense from the inside.

>> From: Bob Whitmire <bwhitmire@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>>
>> That's the insanity. It doesn't make sense from any side.

It makes a lot of sense if you're an insurance company -- or employed by one!

The US spends nearly half its health-care dollars on the overhead of insurance,
but insurance companies have a strong lobby, and no one dares take them on.

Even the lame, watered-down version of universal health care that was proposed
(the "Swiss" model, where everyone is forced to buy insurance, with subsidies
for poor people) doesn't address the REAL problem: that about 6% of GNP goes
into a totally unneeded industry!

Instead, you have "corporate welfare," whereby everyone is forced to put money
-- including tax dollars -- into a system that nearly all other industrial
countries find unnecessary.

If "free market capitalism" is so efficient, why is a whole unneeded industry
justified? Especially one that makes its money from the suffering of others?

We scientists, whose tragic destiny it has been to make the methods of
annihilation ever more gruesome and more effective, must consider it our solemn
and transcendent duty to do all in our power in preventing these weapons from
being used for the brutal purpose for which they were invented. -- Albert
Einstein