[OM] (OM) OT Timber exports

Subject: [OM] (OM) OT Timber exports
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 07 Nov 2010 02:20:08 +1300
I forget the thread name that raised this topic; but presumably the USA
exporters of timber in the round rather than processing the logs in the USA
are hampered by the same problem that New Zealand faces.

We also export timber as it is one more renewable commodity we can
create.

But, many of the countries to which we export impose crippling duties on
timber sawn to dimension, rather than in the round.

This gives a double whammy as well. The general purpose timber we grow
well is Pinus radiata. Best practice would have it thoroughly dried before
sale. That way it not only looks best but performs best, other things being
equal.

Timber transported in the round is naturally wet as there's no good way to
dry logs; the downside to this is that the unsawn timber gets "sapstain" fungi
which turn it black and which significantly degrade it for many high value
uses, as well as giving it a bad name generally - which is basically
undeserved.  I think China, India and Japan impose such tariffs.

Brian Swale.