Re: [OM] Jan's rantings

Subject: Re: [OM] Jan's rantings
From: Nicholas Herndon <nherndon@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 6 Nov 2010 10:06:21 -0500
As someone who knows, let me assure you Jan, Canada is already exporting
massive amounts of heavy crude to the US, and it will continue to happen
whether or not NAFTA is still in place.  This has only helped all of Western
Canada's economy--a recent trip to Calgary demonstrated this to me.  Trust
me, there is enough to go around for both Canada and the US, and it will
only help Canada in the long run.

As for your recent comments on education, the US public education system HAS
failed.  Teacher's unions and bad parents (lawsuit-happy or worse,
apathetic) are doing what poor policy (like "no child left behind") never
could.  Not to mention the massive failure of so many parents to actually do
any parenting.  The statistics on the success rate of children whose parents
actually care and are involved in their children's education vs. parents who
don't are stunning.
Privately funded charter schools are nowhere near as evil as what you'd like
to think.  So what if ExxonMobil wants to fund an engineering school so that
there is a new generation of engineers to work in the energy industry?  I
guarantee you those lucky kids who go to that (hypothetical) school will get
a better technical education than they ever could in a public school.

But I suppose you think that children are mindless little automatons who
will unquestioningly accept any sinister agenda that their corporate
sponsored school inundates them with?

I swear, there's been so much bullshit flying around on the list the last
few days it's starting to smell like a dairy farm.

Sorry to pick on you Jan, you just happened to mention a couple things that
I'm pretty interested in :)

>What, you didn't get the memo? Except for the natives' annoying habit of
public health care, it's practically done!

>Except for Harper having no more than 40% of the vote versus 48%, it's as
though GWB is running things up here already!

>Seriously, we've got your oil. I give it 20 years or so before the US
figures that out... oh, wait... NAFTA already guarantees the US >access to
Canadian energy, even if Canada's own citizens don't have enough. Isn't that
the very definition of "colony?"