Re: [OM] Reminiscing [was: Re: iPhone et al]

Subject: Re: [OM] Reminiscing [was: Re: iPhone et al]
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 07 Nov 2010 20:51:34 -0500
If you're talking about the US Supreme Court the president appoints but
the senate advises and consents... or fails to.  It used to be a near
rubber stamp for a legally well credentialed candidate.  But,
unfortunately, it's now a political side show.  The means of selecting
judges in the various states varies considerably by state.  New York's
selection of judges for its Court of Appeals is similar to the Federal
system where the executive appoints and the senate advises and consents.
  But county judges and sheriffs are elected by the people.

Chuck Norcutt

On 11/7/2010 5:50 PM, Andrew Fildes wrote:
> As in the UK and Australia. However, the PM appoints after
> considerable advice from his/her Attorney General and senior
> bureaucrats - and in the knowledge that once appointed, any judge is
> untouchable except in the most extreme circumstances. That acts as a
> check on whimsical and political appointments as judges live a a lot
> longer than governments. We find the idea of electing a jdge to be a
> bit strange and even questionable - the judiciary should not be
> politicised. Andrew Fildes afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>

> On 08/11/2010, at 6:17 AM, John Hudson wrote:
>
>> One big difference between the judiciary in the US and Canada is
>> that there is no equivalent of  "Senate Hearings" ahead of the
>> appointment of senior judges, or in fact any judges. The prime
>> minister appoints and the appointee picks up his or her new wig the
>> next day !
>>
>> jh
>>
>> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Jan
>> Steinman"<Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> To:<olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> Sent:
>> Sunday, November 07, 2010 1:10 PM Subject: Re: [OM] Reminiscing
>> [was: Re: iPhone et al]

>>> One of three: the Executive, Legislative, and Judiciary. At least
>>> that's how I remember it from high school civics class.
>>>
>>> ---------------- At some point each of us must decide which is
>>> more powerful: love or fear. This can be a difficult decision in
>>> a world that worships at the altar of fear. Turn on any newscast,
>>> study financial reports, or listen to conversations at the water
>>> cooler, and you will hear a pervasive agreement that things are
>>> bad and getting worse. Yet if you do not go into agreement with
>>> such a dire belief, you do not inherit its results. You have the
>>> power to live in a love-based universe even while others pander
>>> to one that seems fear-based. -- Alan Cohen :::: Jan Steinman,
>>> EcoReality Co-op ::::
>>>
>>> --
>>> Archives: