Re: [OM] IMG: fall sunset on river

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: fall sunset on river
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2010 12:23:11 -0600
> All that driving I did around Iowa, and I missed the best part! It's better
> than Grinnell? Seems not possible...

Alas, Grasshopper, you did see the best part.  (Except for Joel's
backyard, of course).

On a semi-related note, I've recently discovered the presence of more
hiking trails in the area. Turns out that we were about three miles
away from some really good hiking and photographic opportunities. But
come to think of it, we hit some pretty good locations as it were and
they would have been Walt Approved. (Close to the car).

The old Spaulding factory is changing shape right now. They're finally
getting around to turning it into the transportation museum. Almost
burned the place down a couple weeks ago. That one little attached
building with the cool looking chimney and the iron stairway are gone.
But the bricks are glossing up nicely.

My wife and I spent a little time in the Louis Sullivan Jewel Box Bank
a couple weeks ago. Got the tour. That place is definitely cool and
has quite the history. Interesting how the stained-glass "rose" above
the entrance changes color with the different kinds of light. When a
cloud obsures the sun, the stained glass totally changes. Nearly the
entire ceiling is made up of a skylight made entirely out of stained
glass. Looks a lot like the sky, and shines nicely during the
day...and night as it is actually back-lit. No windows on the roof at
all! It was one of the first buildings in Iowa completely designed and
built using electric lighting as part of the archetechure. Oh, and a
central boiler system with radiator heat. Double-Oh! And a restroom!
Right from the first day it opened, this building was an attraction.

http://www.grinnelliowa.gov/SullivanBank/Index.html

AG