Re: [OM] Off to Las Vegas today

Subject: Re: [OM] Off to Las Vegas today
From: ClassicVW@xxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2010 06:09:09 EST
Chuck,

Best wishes to your dad and you and your family too.
 My father in law had the same cancer surgery last December at 84yoa.
He smoked a box of 50 cigars a week for many many years. We think it was
from that.
We were also warned about the facial nerves probably going to be severed,
but it turns out that
fortunately the surgeon didn't have to cut them. 8 weeks of radiation
followed and no chemo. All scans since have been A-OK, no cancer. He's 100%
back
 to normal activities. One thing- take him home as soon as you can. He
suffered  badly from "sundowner's syndrome" while hospitalized which is common
with the  elderly patient. Awake all night and delusional. He thought he was
back on Iwo  Jima. My wife, a nurse, recognized what was happening and
signed him out early,  good thing we had a cooperating doctor. Usually, they
won't let anyone go until  they pass you around to their doctor buddies for a
week of (mostly) unnecessary  tests.

Best,
George

Off to  Las Vegas today.  Unfortunately, not for fun.  My dad is having
cancer surgery on his parotid glands on Wednesday (the major salivary
glands in your cheeks and also full of facial nerves).  I'm going  just
to see him, of course, but also to give my sister a hand if she needs
it.  I'll be gone a bit over a week.  Not taking the laptop but  I'll
have computer access once I get to the house so you'll have to  continue
to put up with me at least some of the  time.