Re: [OM] IMG: Nathan's PAW 44: uncontroversial Copenhagen

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Nathan's PAW 44: uncontroversial Copenhagen
From: Bob Whitmire <bwhitmire@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2010 10:09:04 -0500
My father died in 1993, right after we moved to Maine. He was cremated, and
apparently his ashes were distributed among the family, except for me. Most of
them were scattered on the farm he bought late in life, and which extended his
life for probably a good 10 years because of all the dogs, cats, horses and
birds he accumulated and loved to distraction. He even did all the work pro
bono for the local no-kill shelter, and with a group of like-minded folks, took
on the Tennessee Walking Horse Breeders Assn. on the practice of using a
mustard compound on the hooves to make the distinctive high-stepping gait
Walkers are famous for. He became president of the Walking Horse Owners Assn.,
and worked the rest of his life to clean up the industry, this despite not
having two dimes to rub together in comparison with most of his horse-owning
buddies.

My sister currently is in Italy. She took a small portion of his ashes with her
to spread as Assisi ( appropriate, I think), but before she got there someone
stole her jacket. A small portion of my father's remains are now on an
untraceable journey around Europe, a place he hadn't visited since 1944, when
things were a little more unpleasant.

So if you happen to pick up a lady's jacket in a second-hand store and find a
small container of dust, that's probably my dad. Would you kindly see to it he
gets to Assisi?

--Bob Whitmire
www.bobwhitmire.com