[OM] OT - Organ stats

Subject: [OM] OT - Organ stats
From: Paul Braun <cygnus@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2010 10:01:40 -0600
All this talk of pipe organs piqued my interest, since I love organ
music.  I asked Scott May, keyboardist for The Ides of March, a good
friend who is also a professional organist (and a factory rep for
Hammond) about which organ is the largest.

You got the answer correct.  Here's what Scott had to say:

"Traditional Largest Pipe Organ: The Midmer-Losh in the Atlantic City
Convention Hall 7 manual (keyboards)/449 ranks of pipes
but not all of this is playing.

Prolly biggest where everything is working:

Macy's Philadelphia "Wanamaker" Organ:  L.A. Art/Audsley  6 manuals/462
ranks of pipes.

Both of these are classical or "orchestral" Organs.

Largest "Theatre" Organ--in Barrington, Ill at the Jasper Sanfilippo
residence.  5 manuals/88 rank Wurlitzer.

For many years the largest Theatre Organ was in the Chicago Stadium-it
was a 6-manual/62=rank Barton. It is now in the residence of Phil Maloof
in Las Vegas."

If anyone's interested, I'll find a place to post the photos of the
consoles to those beasts that Scott sent me.  Amazing.

--

Paul Braun
Valparaiso, IN

"The nachos are still good." - Jim Peterik

"Enjoy every sandwich." - Warren Zevon

"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever." - David St. Hubbins

"Music washes from the soul the dust of everyday life" - Harlan Howard