Re: [OM] IMG: An Occasional (Former) Flower on Friday

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: An Occasional (Former) Flower on Friday
From: "Jeff Keller" <om-list@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2010 14:22:15 -0800
>From Sunset's "Western Gardening Book": All dogwoods offer attractive
foliage and blossoms; some have spectacular fruit or winter bark. Leaves of
many types turn brilliant colors in fall. What appear to be flower petals in
many dogwoods are actually bracts - petal-like modified leaves.

There are many species of Cornus, some native to California, others to Asia,
Europe, etc. (leaves change color). I think most species set fruit so if no
fruit on Chris' tree, likely no flowers. Perhaps his species doesn't like
his location but there is probably one that would.

Jeff Keller