Re: [OM] IMG: Nathan's PAW 45: nice light

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Nathan's PAW 45: nice light
From: <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2010 07:13:28 -0800
There are several shots there that I like... the main and alts 6, 7 and 11.  I
also have to compliment the camera for the flash shot since it's a technically
excellent job. Notice two things. First, the finger tips of the woman in the
foreground show a small amount of motion blur.  Secondly, the exposure of the
woman in the background indicates remarkably little exposure drop-off between
foreground and background. Both of these show that there was considerable
shutter drag and that a very large portion of the exposure is actually ambient
light.  This is flash done right and it would be difficult to do a better job
with a single, camera mounted flash.

However, if the non-flash shot had been attempted with flash it likely would
not have been as successful given the prominence and proximity of the waiter in
the foreground. When shooting flash one must always keep in mind that the flash
drops off with the square of the distance. If the main subject is only one
meter away another subject two meters away is already dimmer by two stops.
That's also why it's possible to examine this shot and see that the ambient
light contribution is considerable.

Dr. Flash