Re: [OM] Saving the planet or just saving money?

Subject: Re: [OM] Saving the planet or just saving money?
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2010 14:56:51 -0600
> I doubt he can buy a new camera now, the car he bought to 'save' money cost
> $23,000 to 28,000 depending on what Prius model he bought and what options
> he got.

We purchased a used one. No way can I justify the price of a new
one--especially when you consider that the Toyota stablemate, the
Corolla is by far the better deal in the long run and doesn't hurt the
environment for the production of the batteries.

This particular one is a 2009 with 47000 miles on it. It was a rental
down south. I fretted over getting a former rental (nothing performs
like a rental car), but on the flip side, they are usually maintained
well and kept clean. Speaking of clean, the underside is so clean that
we are going to have it undercoated. (undercoating cuts down on a lot
of road noise and helps preserve stuff when driven over heavily salted
roads. Anyway, with that kind of mileage in such a short period of
time, you know it isn't a lemon.

I'm rather entertained by the variability in gas mileage and how it is
pretty much backwards of every other type of car. In town driving, the
mileage just skyrockets. Get out on the highway and the laws of
physics level out most of the benefits. For what we needed it for,
it's going to be fine.

I did want to get an oil-burner instead, but did not because this car
is a Toyota and the price was very aggressive.

The delta on monthly vehicle expenditure will be around $250 per month.

AG