[OM] Side note on Samsung GPS

Subject: [OM] Side note on Samsung GPS
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2010 21:47:06 -0800
When researching compact super zooms, I was puzzled by the DPreview test and
the many posts on the subject of the
built-in GPS of the Samsung HZ35w/WB650. They make it sound like the GPS
requires downloading maps from Samsung, with
which some equipment or understanding impaired folks had trouble, and loading
them on the SD(HC) card(s), with which
there was again trouble for some.

They all seemed to say that it was a mess, best ignored. It turns out, as I
suspected, but can now confirm, to be a
confabulation of two related, but really separate functions.

If you turn on the little GPS switch, the camera does just what I expect, puts
Lat Long tags in the images. No fuss, no
bother, really useful.

What does require downloading maps onto the card (Which really isn't hard.) is
the function that shows where one is at
the moment or where images on the card were taken, all on the camera LCD. I
haven't found either particularly useful.
Cute, I suppose, but non-essential.

Moose