Re: [OM] Deconstructing photo gear

Subject: Re: [OM] Deconstructing photo gear
From: Dawid Loubser <dawidl@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2010 12:34:38 +0200
On 15 Nov 2010, at 7:34 AM, Moose wrote:

> So what about taking the next step, switching cameras, instead of
> lenses? I'm not ready to try that with big cameras -
> yet. But what about compacts?

Hi Moose,

That's exactly what I currently do. Granted, it is with larger, film-
based cameras (and thus not flexible
in the same sense of having a number of different compacts in your
pockets) but I believe it is still a
very sound approach. There are so few cameras which do many things
well. So, depending on the occasion,
I switch between anything from a Minox to a Linhof 4x5in.

The weird thing? I keep on going back to my Mamiya RB67 (my first film
camera, the one that made me
sell all my digital gear). It's the strangest thing, it's such an
ugly, cantankerous beast, yet it
does most things better than any other camera. Especially taking
intimate snapshots of people
unobtrusively. Sure, after you've taken the shot ("ker-shlunk!")
everybody knows, but nobody anticipates
your taking the shot because you are not lifting the camera to your eye.

Anyway, I suspect this odd camera choice works for me because I am a
medium-format-wide-angle-and-close-up-darkroom-junkie. The point is,
what works for you is completely
different. You get excellent results with your compacts, and I hope
you enjoy the process and
flexibility of having more than one to choose from. Just one question:
For a longer view, have you
not tried the telephoto converter lens Canon offers for the G11? This
seems to be your primary complaint
around the G11, which is (I agree) an excellent compact camera for
most uses.

all the best,
Dawid