Re: [OM] Deconstructing photo gear

Subject: Re: [OM] Deconstructing photo gear
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2010 15:54:03 -0800
On 11/14/2010 11:22 PM, chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> This same point was on my mind when I first read the review of the Panasonic
> DMC LX3.
> <http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicdmclx3/>
> It has a fast f/2.0-2.8 24-60 equivalent lens.  I like the speed and the wide
> angle on the short end but the compromise of 60mm equivalent on the long end
> is a hard pill to swallow.  I remember thinking at the time that Panasonic
> should produce a twin camera with a 60-300 lens.

Well, they do - sorta. The problem is that when you go to long tele, the camera
gets a lot bigger, the sensor gets a lot
smaller or the lens gets impossibly slow at the long end. Focal length and
focal ratio are very unforgiving.

Hence the Panny TZ5/7, with 300/4.9 long end, and a sensor with about half the
area of the LX3/5. As the Sammy handily
beat the Panny in the DPR shootout, has a nominally shorter and noticeably
longer zoom and GPS, I went for the Sammy

Just as I chose it as a long companion to the G11, it could be so used with the
LX3 or 5.

> Watch many wedding and event photographers.  They're likely equipped with two
> camera bodies with one bearing a wide to short tele zoom and the other a
> short to long tele zoom.

Ah yes, that's another kettle of fish. Add something like a 60D to the 5D; one
camera and lens covers 17-35 and the
other covers 45-480 mm. 28x :-)

A bit pricey at the moment, and I'm not sure when I would actually carry both.

Moose