Re: [OM] OT - A snippit from our lives as of late

Subject: Re: [OM] OT - A snippit from our lives as of late
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2010 10:02:47 -0500
And that was exacerbated by a huge cultural divide over use vs ownership
of land.  Indians of the colonies planted the land but also moved with
the seasons since it was also necessary to them to hunt and fish in
different seasons and in places different from where they planted.
Their concept was that they had rights to use the land (which they might
share with others) but did not profess ownership of the land in the
sense an Englishman would.  Early land "transactions" between Englishmen
and indians were seen as purchases of exclusive rights to the land by
the Englishmen but as only rights to share use of the land by the
indians doing the negotiation.  Neither side had any notion of the
cultural divide between them.  And it only went downhill from there.

Chuck Norcutt