Re: [OM] Saving the planet or just saving money?

Subject: Re: [OM] Saving the planet or just saving money?
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2010 09:46:01 -0600
> I'm a little concerned about what it will do to my 05 Audi.

Most likely nothing. But as that is a high-compression motor, I
wouldn't be running ethanol blends in it if I could avoid it anyway. I
know my Audi wasn't the happiest running the stuff. My Jeep couldn't
care less, though, and I will actually run higher ratios by blending
E-85 with E-10. Depends on my mood, though, and whether the price
savings is enough to offset the lower gas mileage.

We're experimenting with the Prius. Just loaded up no-blend. Toyota
says you can run E-10 in it, but doesn't recommend it. We were able to
finally get the tank almost empty and I filled up with 87 octane
no-blend. We averaged 52 mpg for the next 35 miles of city and hwy
driving. That's compared to 43.5 mpg for the previous tank of blended
gas. We'll see how it measures out for the full tanks, as I suspect
it'll drop down to around 45 mpg. But in one five-minute segment we
got over 65 mpg--and that's even with no recovered energy.

My current tank of gas in the Jeep is running 17.2 mpg in comparison.

BTW, I was feeling a little "vulnerable" in the Prius. After we washed
and waxed the cars, I had them out in the driveway for a picture and
positioned the vehicles to the driver's seats were in the exact same
position. From tip of bumper to driver's seat is only one inch
different. Amazing. Of course, the Jeep is taller, wider and longer in
back, but the front was essentially the same length.

The fun part of driving the Prius is seeing how many cars you can get
in the video game.

AG (why do other drivers avoid me in the Prius?) Schnozz