Re: [OM] HELP need! Using my E-P1 with flash studio heads.

Subject: Re: [OM] HELP need! Using my E-P1 with flash studio heads.
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2010 13:54:57 -0800
On 11/24/2010 11:34 AM, David Irisarri wrote:
> Can I use the E-P1 with my studio flash equipment? I want to use it with my
> Elinchrom STYLE FX 400 Digital flash heads.
>
> I have realized about this text in Olympus page but I don´t understand it
> very well: (I suppose I can use the heads without any problem, they report
> in the specs "Sync voltage: 5 V maximum compatibility with digital cameras")
>
> The E-P1 uses an electronic rather than mechanical sync circuit that is
> rated at 6.5 VDC maximum sync voltage. Also, the polarity of the studio
> flash sync pulse may be opposite the polarity of the E-P1 sync circuitry.

I don't understand the problem. The sync voltage is less than the safe maximum,
so just use them.

> Studio flash equipment should be connected to the E-P1 using the Safe Sync
> Hot Shoe to PC Sync Adapter. The adapter protects the camera from excessive
> sync voltage up to 400 VDC, and automatically corrects sync pulse polarity.

Typical poorly written material from at least Oly and some other Japanese
camera makers. Obviously should read something
like " Studio flash equipment with sync voltage greater than 6.5v or unknown
sync voltage should be connected to the
E-P1 using our rebranded Wein Safe-Sync."

Now why in the name of Maitani Oly would use such a silly circuit limitation, I
certainly don't know. That issue was
joined very early in DSLR development, when the makers figured out that
spending the extra penny for semiconductors with
adequate voltage handling was worthwhile.

My guess is that it's in fact safe up to at least a couple of hundred volts and
a copy writer grabbed something from old
E-1 material. At least I prefer that explanation to thinking that Oly engineers
are so deeply incompetent.

Nothing new. As I recall, there should be lots in the archives about Oly in
North America publishing much lower sync
voltage limits for the E-1 than did the distributors in Europe.

Dr. No Flash, but No Fool Moose