Re: [OM] New Image (OT)

Subject: Re: [OM] New Image (OT)
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2010 14:46:02 -0600
Well, I've definitely become more extroverted then. Way back when, I'd
be far more comfortable photographing people from afar. Now, I'm
shooting wide and close. My all-time favorite focal-length remains
35mm. That's kinda my "money focal length".

However, just as Bob is finding, I do prefer the short telephoto for
much of my scenics. I like the compression to the scene a 100mm lens
gives me. (these are for FF 35mm sensor/film cameras). Any longer and
the telephoto "effect" becomes THE story. 135mm seems to be the limit
as it is effectively halfway between 100 and 200mm.

When it comes to event photography, I'm really living short these
days. It's nice getting in close with a short lens and establish
placement with the shot. The problem with telephotos is too much
isolation. That isolation then causes the subject to separate from the
event itself and you lose time and place. If you WANT to lose time and
place, obviously a tight crop with a long tele is then the answer.

Personally, I like my landscape/scenic pictures to be devoid of
people. I like what Ansel Adams said: There are two people in the
photograph--the photographer and the viewer. The added benefit of
keeping people out of the photograph itself is the timelessness of the
photograph--it doesn't become dated so easily. If I make people part
of my photograph, they are usually the subject itself, or a specific
element within the photograph that is specifically part of the
photograph.

As an example of what I'm talking about, consider the paintings by
Winslow Homer.

AG