Re: [OM] Colorado River Bridge and Hoover Dam

Subject: Re: [OM] Colorado River Bridge and Hoover Dam
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2010 16:44:07 -0800
On 11/21/2010 12:20 PM, Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> <http://www.chucknorcutt.com/Colorado%20River%20Bridge/index.htm>
>
> This is the new (Oct. 2010) Colorado River Bridge adjacent to Hoover Dam
> outside Las Vegas.

Ah yes, I dropped my Nikon Ftn on concrete inside that dam.  A little ding, but
no effect on operation. The OMs may have
been a gleam in Maitani's eye in '69.

My son and his new bride drove by on their honeymoon in Aug./Sept. before it
was finished. I hope to see it in person soon.

> ... One can still drive across the dam in a car but all are subject to
> inspection.

In a inter-generational connection, my parents drove across it on their
honeymoon during WWII. All traffic was strictly
blacked out in escorted convoys. They said they could barely see the car in
front, let alone the dam. It was thought to
be an obvious target for the Japanese. It turns out they did have a project
that built small, submarine launched
bombers. Fortunately, it didn't get far enough along soon enough to be
successful.

> Some construction photos here including shots from the downstream side of the
> dam.<http://www.mansanity.com/colorado-river-bridge/>

Ooh, thanks for those! It wasn't quite clear to me just how they were building
a bridge in the mountains of Mexico East
of Puerto Vallarta in 2005. This and the next shot were taken on the way up.
<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=Travel/Mexico/Puerto_Vallarta_2005&image=DSCF0759cria80m.jpg>

 From that high vantage point on the road, a very sketchy road wound down the
canyon to our crossing at this ford. It
would obviously be impassable after rains.
<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=Travel/Mexico/Puerto_Vallarta_2005&image=DSCF0762ia75.jpg>

This was taken from down by the ford as we drove back in the late afternoon.
<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=Travel/Mexico/Puerto_Vallarta_2005&image=CRW_2212ia.jpg>
Hmmm, maybe I shouldn't have cropped it; the canyon doesn't look as deep as it
is.

In the final coincidence, the woman who has cleaned our house for over 25 years
is from a village across this ford, now
bridge, and up the same road, but even deeper into the mountains than we went.
I only discovered this when I was talking
to her about our vacation. Unlike Meg Whitman, though, my late wife helped Rosa
become a citizen and I pay her Social
Security tax.

A. Synchronous Moose