Re: [OM] Major success

Subject: Re: [OM] Major success
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2010 17:33:00 -0600
> Yea, but will it get my ageing parents high-speed?

As we've discussed before, there is a different between "access network" and
"transport network". I'm on the transport side. The problem with broadband
technology on the access side is limitations in distance. Essentially, you
have to be within four or five miles of the head-end gear needed to deliver
the broadband to the home. So, for those WAY out in the country, this is a
problem. But the vast majority of the population is located close to these
devices. You indicated that your parents use dial-up internet. That, of
course, is an interruptive technology which forces either voice or data, but
not both at the same time. Solution is to either have a second phone line or
get DSL. Cable broadband is another option where available. Another option
for those out in the country is wireless broadband. This usually uses
600-900 mHz frequency bands to deliver broadband for many miles out in the
country. Of course, this is a line-of-sight technology, so hills and heavy
vegitation can be a problem

It is a misunderstanding among the masses to think that rural America is
poorly connected whereas living in a city you have all the access in the
world. With the exception of the above mentioned distance issues, this is
not the case. I can speak to Iowa and Minnesota specifically and state that
the average household in 1000-2000 population town of Iowa has higher speeds
and better Internet access than the average household in urban America. And
we're not just talking about "peak" speeds but sustained performance 24/7.
I'm well versed in the connectivity issues in the major cities around this
country and am not apologetic about our network! I can't name names, but
will mention that within three of the biggest cities along the I-35
corridor, even in the best of neighborhoods your only broadband option MIGHT
be cable-TV, but one block over DSL is the only option and cable-TV doesn't
provide broadband. In newer subdivisions, it is not uncommon at all for NO
broadband to be available at all and you see wireless broadband antennas on
everybody's roofs.

But all this is temporary. 4G will redefine the telephone/broadband access
networks as we know them and there is a potential for the final and near
total migration of wireline services to wireless. That doesn't matter too
much to me, personally, though, as I'm transport oriented. Doesn't matter
how it's getting to the end user, the data and calls have to go somewhere.
You think those cell towers are just sitting there by their lonesome? When
you make a call on your cellphone to your neighbor's house, how exactly do
you think your call is getting there? Most people don't realize that your
call can travel a good thousand miles just to go 100 feet. It's that
thousand mile part that keeps me employed.

AG