Re: [OM] Major success

Subject: Re: [OM] Major success
From: David Thatcher <davidt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2010 00:22:04 +1030

On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 04:11:04PM -0600, Ken Norton wrote:

> That is correct. Unfortunately... We had planned our move and then at
> the last moment they decided to keep a core group of engineering here.
> I'm planning, no longer engineering, but the engineers I work with are
> here so that's where I stay. Yet my title includes the word
> "engineer", but as any of you with the papers to back that up know,
> it's a joke. My territory for network planning is Iowa and Minnesota.
>
> AG

Ken,

Congratulations, that is nice -  it's a good feeling when the customer
(in this case your employer) buys your design!

I find myself stuck (it pays the bills!) with designing & maintaining
multi-site Layer-3 networks, usually using telco-provided MPLS virtual
networks these days, & having fun trying to keep the sales guys away
from the more esoteric 'feature-rich' vapourware. Unfortunately
vendor-bothering can be a way of life at times, usually  late in the
evening when the design (often conceived using the vendor's "Next Big
Thing" feature) fails to deliver - hopefully this is on the bench in the
lab during staging, & not at deployment! :)

My job title says 'Engineer' too, which is a trifle embarrassing, as on
paper I am only an 'engineering associate'. I have done very little
formal training since collecting my 'parchment' (on a part-time basis
nearly 20 years ago), but I *have* learned much at the coal face,
sometimes by a little vendor-bothering!

davidt