[OM] I sometimes hate Apple as well, was- Printer driver (rip?)

Subject: [OM] I sometimes hate Apple as well, was- Printer driver (rip?)
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2010 16:29:13 +1100
I use a Dell two button wheel mouse with my Mac Pro - does the job. The Mac
mice are silly and break.
Look, in the 1990's Mac was dead simple and worked well while MS was just
awful. Then the Unix geeks got at Mac and MS sorta improved things (we'll be
kind and ignore Vista). Mac just feels 'nicer' to me but I've owned one for 25
years (early adopter).

Here's the latest piece of idiocy from both.
I got a new MacAir 11" - it's nice.
I went to install MS Office 2008 (the newest incarnation).
Wouldn't - told me I needed Rosetta. What?!
Research, net search........
Rosetta is an old Mac program that allowed Intel Macs to read PowerPC style
software.
Turns out that with System 10.6,Apple decided that we don't need it anymore.
Fair enough.
However, while Office doesn't actually use it, MS's installer program does!
Great. Dumb or what?

So, read the instructions.
"Download Rosetta from net automatically."
Oh - I've not set up the wireless/net connection yet.
In that case....
Stick in your restore system disc and open the 'Options' package.
MacAir - no disc - just a little USB stick.
Stick it in. Wow - no options package.
Aaaaaaarrrrrggggghhhhh!

Hmmm....Maybe I can download it from Apple with my Desktop machine.
Check Apple - there's a lovely page that tells me all about it.
But no way to download it - that has to be done by an automatic routine I can't
get to.

Hang on - I've got the Snow Leopard update disc somewhere.
Hey, there's the Options package.

Who are the idiots at Apple who decided that I probably wouldn't want to
install MS Office from the disc I have?
Who at MS decided that in all those upgrades they get me to download, I
wouldn't need an updated installer?
Can I hurt them please?
@ hours of my life I won't get back.

Andrew Fildes