Re: [OM] Printer driver (rip?)

Subject: Re: [OM] Printer driver (rip?)
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2010 11:03:20 -0600
> I don't think that anyone thought it a problem, Ken.

Specifically CS5 on the Mac. I don't have personal first-hand experience,
but people much much smarter than me claim to have issues which are not
issues in my own chosen setup.

I'm either way behind the curve or ahead of it--I'm not sure which. Of
course, if everything is cyclical, then I'm so far behind that I am ahead.
Sooner or later, even the E-1 will become cool again.

And I do believe I am correct in claiming to be cynically philosophical. To
be philosophically cynical means that I'd have to think about sneering at
you. But to be cynically philosophical means that I'm thinking, but in a
sneering manner.

Anyway, back to the top... I'm not going to jump on my anti-Adobe soapbox.
No need to. It's an outstanding program for many things--in fact, easily the
best product in the category, but not best at everything. It's a lot like a
hopped up sports car. It might do the quarter-mile in 10.5 seconds, but
might be lousy for taking the kids to school or picking of groceries. I
personally chose less expensive solutions that lacks in other regards, but
I'm not afraid to mix-and-match technologies to get the results I desire.

Yesterday, I had to make a composite photograph for a customer. Shall we
count the applications needed to do this particular composite? Lightroom for
the conversion and color/contrast effect, Photoshop Elements for the
arranging, layering and painting, Picture Window Pro for contrast, color
adjustments and conversion to sRGB/24-bit as well as proofing on the Canon
all-in-one printer/scanner, and finally the Millers software for uploading
and size selection. Except for the Millers piece, all this could have been
done in the full-blown version of CS5. Tomorrow, a FedEx package will arrive
with a couple hundred dollars worth of prints which I have let somebody else
do all the dirty work to produce.

But, next time, if I'm going to do that kind of composite, I now know how to
do everything in just PWP (except for the Millers piece, of course). Whether
I do or not is a separate question. Using specific programs for specific
tasks does have advantages because I can quickly accomplish certain tasks
(like cloning) in one program rather than another.

BTW, as an aside, I'm running a color-managed workspace in PWP and use a
profile for the Canon printer/paper. It took me a few stabs at getting
things correct (my assumptions were wrong), but now I can run a proof print
off the Canon (which cost me squat--one of the best deals out there) and
it's bloody accurate. This is one case where the manufacturer (Canon) did a
fine job of getting the color profile correct. It might not be exact, but
it's better than my eyesight.

Finally (yeah right), is Qimage a "RIP"? In the purest sense, no. However,
effectively it is one, so yes, it is a RIP.

AG