Re: [OM] MS Office

Subject: Re: [OM] MS Office
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 22:46:50 -0500
OpenOffice works for me too and has for the past several years.  There
is an occasional incompatibility that crops up but nothing I've not been
able to solve or work around.

The most recent case was a spreadsheet that, when loaded into OpenOffice
presented a bold font of such preposterously distorted characters that
the contents were all but unreadable.  Attempting to change the font
didn't work since any type of change to the sheet had been locked out by
the originator.   I finally copied the entire contents of the
spreadsheet to the clipboard and then pasted them into a new spreadsheet.

I can't now recall whether a default (and legible) font appeared or
whether I had to deliberately change the font but all was well.  I
assume that this was an incompatibility in that OpenOffice had
apparently misinterpreted the font in some way.  I can't believe that
someone would have deliberately chosen such a hard to read font... but
it's possible.

Chuck Norcutt