Re: [OM] it was foreseeable and it happened

Subject: Re: [OM] it was foreseeable and it happened
From: Charles Geilfuss <charles.geilfuss@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2010 11:13:54 -0500
  True Bill but I wish it were that easy. I've followed that advice (only
consume cooked foods, only bottled beverages preferably with alcohol, brush
teeth with bottled water, etc.) but have still managed to get sick. I
followed these rules when in Paraguay for two weeks but became very ill, but
completely ignored them on a short trip to Guatemala and was completely
fine. Same for Mexico. I was in Germany for a month and was sick as a dog
one weekend (but I blame that on the Hartz-Kase; I should have known better
to eat something so stinky but it did taste good). I've decided it can
happen anywhere. Treated water systems all contain small amounts of "normal"
bacterial flora with which the locals made peace years ago. And despite a
travelers best efforts you can't get away from the fact that the dishes are
washed in tap water, and unless they do a final rinse with H2O/ sodium
hypochlorite solution you are doomed...sometimes. Best to be prepared: carry
Bismuth, Ciprofloxacin and a couple of bottles of a re-hydrating fluid
(Pedialyte).

Charlie