Re: [OM] olympus Digest, Vol 26, Issue 9

Subject: Re: [OM] olympus Digest, Vol 26, Issue 9
From: SwissPace <ian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2010 22:34:36 +0100
Oh what fun, My eldest stepson a 16 year old who knows everything is so
anti-mac and pro windows its laughable, I take great fun in winding him
up, he speaks from the wisdom of a gamer who has only really used a PC
and me an admin who uses daily 3 pc's one with solaris,  windows 7  and
XP and also a mac mini. Each environment has its good points and bad
points, I use the mac for email and general use, the solaris machine to
connect to the unix servers and the windows to support and test the user
configurations

At home with my own money  I have a macpro and a macbook pro, but I also
still have  XP and solaris  installations in virtual machines. Each
environment has its good points and bad points. However for my hobby and
personal life which centres around photography and music I choose to use
a mac because its the least intrusive to use and I really have enough
hassle during the day I just want a tool I can use, yes windows 7 is
good but it came to late and I see no advantage to switching back. Even
if apple is a monopoly do I care, actually no as long as it continues to
provide what I need.

I recently bought some new hard disks and I helped my stepson install
his in his PC , he had to use  a third party product called clonezilla
to do a bit copy, ( I know there are other tools ) but they are nowhere
as easy as the mac migration utility which you can use to transfer
everything to a new disk or even machine, that you can't do as easily
with windows, although I wish you could. Afterwards I asked him if he
thought he could talk his grandfather through the operation over the
phone, I am 100 percent confident I could talk my mother through the
process however she would stumble on the physical replacement ;-)

My stepson also argues that PC's are cheaper and yes while you can buy
cheaper pc's if you actually compare like for like the apple products
are highly competitive, sure you can convince yourself otherwise if you
wish.

As for reliability the most likely part to fail will be the hard disk,
make sure you have a backup and that you know how to copy it by doing a
copy before it fails and then you won't really care unless its not the
disk and you need to get a new machine, Hmmm then you will be wishing it
was a mac - well at least if you knew how easy it was to move to the new
machine.

Just like we will never agree on digital cameras, because not one is
perfect, I mean I have at least two manufacturers bodies ;-) we will not
agree on operating systems/computers for the same reason, even my
gorgeous 17" macbook pro is not perfect because it has too sharp a case
for my wrists but would I swap it for the equivalent lenovo - no chance!.

Enjoy the photography and use the best tools for you! but remember
Canyon Nikon and Olympus cameras can all take good pictures  and each do
some tasks better than others.