Re: [OM] Wonderful man made sights with nature.

Subject: Re: [OM] Wonderful man made sights with nature.
From: Mark Marr-Lyon <mark.marrlyon@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2010 08:03:24 -0700
Ian and Chris,

The multi-color halo was almost certainly a glory, caused by light
backscattered off the water droplets in the cloud.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glory_(optical_phenomenon)

The orange glow sounds like it may be some sort of light pillar,
caused by light reflecting either off the water droplets in the same
cloud as the glory or by ice crystals in between the two cloud layers.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light_pillar

These displays are fun to see, and it sounds as if you got to see a
particularly spectacular one.

Mark