[OM] No Free Lunch. Is there a $$$ lunch? [was IMG: Nathan's PAW 48: win

Subject: [OM] No Free Lunch. Is there a $$$ lunch? [was IMG: Nathan's PAW 48: wine, social life and light]
From: usher99@xxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2010 18:03:34 -0500
Ahh,
Been baiting the Moose to try this for many moons.  I savored the
analysis.

I can only speculate on which features he is testing.  It is only easy
to compare the rollovers in adjacent cells, though one
can be assured of a logical progression.
Well first go round for the 30 min I have today:  I'll take a look
again later:

Test 1
Comparing adjacent cells in order.

A.  --?out of cam
B. Seems to correct  a bit of pin cushion dist  FL>200mm--Probably the
Tammy.
     ?PTlens
C.  More contrast, seems to lift a veil, guess LCE of some sort
D.  sharper more details visible
E--F  Subtle changes but on my monitor E wins for detail by a hair
G.--H   G a bit more saturated then H and seems to preserve the glow of
the caps a bit better.  Leaves have a tad more color, but not sure what
is more accurate.  Both are nice enough.   I remember this nice shot.
All the other corrections seem present in both. Perhaps one is DXO
final and the other ACR-PS ala Moose

Test 2

A.  Out of cam?  noise quite evident in the shadows
B.  noise corrected, more contrast  ?Neat Image+X or DXO
C. clearly more detail visible
D-E  E wins for detail, perhaps on verge of getting crunchy
E--?ACR/PS ala Moose.  Would be surprised if default USM in DXO
sharpened this much.

Test 3-Leaf
similar progression.  E has most detail and LCE

Couple things though---the 5D classic does not report focus
distance---Canyon had removed that feature but added it back in the
5DII.
Perhaps some Canyon software required it like DPP.  That can degrade
DXO's ability to fine tune some aberration corrections that are focus
distance dependent.
Also, standard PS processing is not excluded of course by using
DXO--one can easily just export a tiff to take advantage of what it
does and go from there.
The  Raw converter , color management are very good in ver 6.5.  One
can toggle the USM off (DXO does like to add a fair amount of LCE too)
and do the output sharpening/LCE in PS.  A really really  noisy image
is a good thing to try too as the raw level  noise reduction is good.
Anyway, one roll over might be a DXO process with the USM  feature
toggled off and final treatment in PS for both renditions in a  final
product ready for display  image competition.
Then assess whether it is worth the cost both in $ and time.
I guess we'll soon find out which is which.

Well there is a free trial download for DXO and I am very curious to
see what Moose thinks after this.  For the $$$, the software would have
to hit a triple at least.

Oh, and one can group  similar shots into a "project" and process them
together.  All the defaults can be tweaked and portions totally turned
off as desired.
Mike

I am over 1K images behind form a couple trips so DXO 80% solution for
60% of the images is worth it to me.  It does a pretty good job with
the G-9.  From a few images I've looked at
with some GH-x, DXO trounces silkypix.