Re: [OM] Jeweler's camera

Subject: Re: [OM] Jeweler's camera
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2010 09:57:50 -0800
> From: "C.H.Ling" <ch_photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> I do think it is the sensor gives the increased DOF not the lens, for the
> same magnification, a 50mm lens and 100mm lens have the same DOF under the
> same aperture but the one with smaller sensor gives deeper DOF.

I was going to just leave Chuck to his delusion, but I must agree: DOF is
determined by aperture and reproduction ratio -- period.

The focal length changes DOF only to the extent that, unless you move the
camera closer or farther from the subject, focal length changes the
reproduction ratio. As C.H. notes, for the same subject size, a 50mm lens and a
100mm lens have the same DOF at the same aperture.