Re: [OM] Battery types [was - iPods from Apple]

Subject: Re: [OM] Battery types [was - iPods from Apple]
From: Tim Hughes <timhughes@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2010 02:29:17 -0800 (PST)
Jan,
     The large 26650 cell may be a little large for your makitas, but there is
a smaller cell. Check here for sizes:http://www.a123systems.com/cms/product/
 http://www.a123systems.com/cms/product/pdf/1/_ANR26650M1A.pdf

You would need 3 (or 4 cells) to give you an average 10V (or 13.2V) pack. A 4
cell pack can actually be directly charged from a cigarette lighter in about
15min with nothing more than small resistor in series while car runs. (14.4V Pb
charge voltage is ideal) . You don't need special temp sensor or anything for
rapid charge,only limit is voltage must be kept under ~3.8v/cell and current
not ridiculous <20A say. My guess is 3 cell pack is as good or better than "12V
ni-cds" and will last longer than drill, provided you never really deep
discharge it.

You ideally want to use a balancing charger at least once in a while. The RC
groups have lots of recomendations and there are really good cheap chinese
chargers aimed at rc modelers, that now handle LiFePO4 as well as all other
li-Co,Nimh etc and they will do balancing. You must make up an extra small
connector going to the cell taps for balancing.

Tim Hughes