Re: [OM] Hood for Panny

Subject: Re: [OM] Hood for Panny
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2010 08:58:13 +1100
Yes, that's more or less what I've been using but as Chris suggested, that
compromises the whole pancake concept. I have something like that but it's
lowish profile, about the right format for a 28mm. A conventional hood for a
40mm effective field of view would be almost as big as the lens itself. Using
this approach makes a lot more sense. Cosina are doing it for one of the Voigts
I think.
When I didn't have the Canon 5D2, I made a hood like this for the little 50mm
f1.8 which has a large and awkward regular hood. It was the front element
retaining ring of a dead Tamron lens, the 90mm f2.5 Macro. Basically a dome
that reverse screws into a 52-55mm step up ring. Perfect for the 80mm effective
cheap lens. I might try it on others if I can find which drawer it has sunk to
the bottom of (syntax alert Chris).
Andrew Fildes
afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx