Re: [OM] OM Monarch

Subject: Re: [OM] OM Monarch
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2010 21:09:53 -0800
On 12/19/2010 5:01 PM, usher99@xxxxxxx wrote:
> In late Summer/Fall always have an OM loaded and 3 or so macro lenses waiting
> to go  on my desk in easy reach in case  interesting flying critters decide
> to show up.  This was taken late one Sept PM and the sun decided to make a
> brief appearance while I was watching this Monarch land on one of our Zinnias.

A very fine image as it stands. I wasn't particularly bothered by the flower
touching the edge, although a bit of
breathing room on the right would be nice.

Something else was bothering me, though. It took a bit to discover what it is.
I don't know if the lower flower is
actually much different in color, but is seems whatever processing was done has
turned it into a slightly unnatural
/abstract object. I rather like it on it's own, but I don't think it matches
what's above in tone, mood, in some way.

So it seems to me that there are two separate images here, each complete, and
lovely, on its own, but slightly
uncomfortable combined.

Butterfly on Zinnia.
<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=Others/MikeG/Flowers_and_Butterflies&image=1131694483_tmya6-Ocr1ia.jpg>

Pictorialist Abstract Zinnia.
<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=Others/MikeG/Flowers_and_Butterflies&image=1131694483_tmya6-Ocr2.jpg>

I've never tried Shuck's stretching technique, and stuck with what I already am
comfortable with. I made a couple of
copies of the base layer, put them under it, moved them around and worked the
edges with masks, etc.

Divide and Conquer Moose

PS:
> http://tinyurl.com/263kmpp
>
> Size was OK on Firefox but is different in IE--no clue why.

Differing interpretation of the fancy web code that sizes the largest size,
"Original" image on the fly into the various
size choices on for page display.