Re: [OM] photo gallery software

Subject: Re: [OM] photo gallery software
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2010 10:55:19 -0600
Brian, at this point, I'd recommend building a site from scratch using
the latest/greatest, soon to be released, version of Drupal. I've been
working with the release candidates for a while now and probably in
2011 I'll migrate Zone-10 over to it. Philosophically, I have serious
issues with Joomla (also known as the People's Republic of Joomla) and
their "nobody should be able to profit from any code" mentality. I'll
refrain from further comment about that system, because it is decent
quality, but there are security holes big enough to float the Queen
Mary through. Zone-10 is built on Mambo, but development of that
program has stagnated. It's solid, though, and the developers that
wrote sloppy code all went to Joomla leaving a group of people who
spent two years cleaning up the garbage! (It was really bad--the guys
who were responsible for the core code did shoddy work). As Joomla is
a port of Mambo (pre-cleaned up), there is a lot of garbage floating
around in that code--even the latest version--as those that did the
shoddy work in Mambo are fully responsible for continuing the shoddy
work in Joomla. Oops, I added a further comment.

The Drupal community has a very different culture and the mentality is
totally about quality and security. I've been running a shadow Zone-10
site on Drupal for over two years but made the decision to wait till
Version 7 because of content migration issues. If I'm going to change
CMS, I want to do it just once. Drupal is FAST!!!! compared to either
Mambo or Joomla. It is far more efficient (and lightweight). The build
is much smaller. Page response times are on the order of 4X faster,
and server loading appears to be about a quarter that of Mambo. There
was a certain article on Zone-10 that had about 15 image objects
embedded in it and even though they were small, they forced a
substantial call load on the server. As the article was rather
popular, the server crashed at 200 concurrent users. I had to break
the article down into three pages and that solved the problem.

I've also been working with Gallery 3, but have had random issues with
it too, just as Wayne has had. I've been using Gallery 2 for quite a
while now and it is clunky (and is very server intense), but it is
solid AND has all the bells and whistles I've needed.

An EXCELLENT hosting environment for me has been HostGator out of
Texas. There is a link on the Zone-10 site where you can get an
account through them and it financially benefits Zone-10, so yes, I'm
fiscially biased. My previous hosting company started out great, but
ended up a disaster.

AG