Re: [OM] photo gallery software

Subject: Re: [OM] photo gallery software
From: WayneS <olympus@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2010 12:22:25 -0500
At 12/22/2010 10:43 AM, Biran wrote:

>Congratulations on setting up your own server. Makes me wonder how you
>protect it from hostile invaders though.

Thanks, and I'm working on that. It is a major project in itself. Not sure how
hackable Gallery3 is, but certainly that is a concern. I am leaning LAMP,
(linux, apache, mysql, php). I was also not sure if I just wanted simple
Gallery software, or if I should look into full content management software.

I have been experimenting with custom router firewalls. I have tried linux with
Arno's Firewall (http://rocky.eld.leidenuniv.nl/joomla/), have tried doing my
own custom firewall rules (reading the book Linux Firewalls now) with some sort
of IDS, I have tested PFSense - which is FreeBSD based. I was looking into
DShield - "Cooperative Network Security Community - Internet Security." I have
been reading about Fast-Flux techniques used by hackers, and also SANS -
Internet Storm Center.... Easy to get lost with it all the possibilities.

In the last month my family members have been hit by 3 attack sites, from
google searches and facebook links. Within about an hour, Mozilla does start
blocking them. But then I have to spend several hours going through those
computer.

Welcome to the jungle...

Wayne