Re: [OM] Economics

Subject: Re: [OM] Economics
From: WayneS <olympus@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2010 16:30:26 -0500
At 12/22/2010 11:42 AM, Nicholas wrote:
>I've been in that unfortunate position of not being able to get work, and
>rather than keep banging my head against a wall trying to get a position
>that I felt I was qualified for, I took jobs like delivering pizza and
>painting houses; basically anything I could to keep busy and be able to pay
>the rent, until a better opportunity came along.  ...

One of the issues with taking a lesser position that one is over-qualified
for is that the employers thinks such a person will jump ship to
something better when the opportunity becomes available.

>[... Nathan said something about Spanish families
>banding together to get through tough times; a skill that more American
>families would do well to learn from.  The best times in my life when I was
>growing up were when my family was at its poorest.]

Some families band together, others become more vicious, entitled and
self-centered. I have seen both. My dad grew up during the depression
and his mother, who was poor, would leave food out for traveling hobos.
There is nothing more nurturing than a family that supports each other,
can share with each other, accepts each other no matter what - even if that
"family" is loosely defined.

I grew up with modesty, and was taught to give is better than receive.
I certainly derive pleasure in giving, especially when the receiver is so
gracious.
It has also been shown that giving improves one's health and happiness.
But there is nothing worse than the feeling of being taken advantage of.
It's complicated sometimes. Trust is gold.

Wayne