Re: [OM] Economics

Subject: Re: [OM] Economics
From: Willie Wonka <alienspecimen@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2010 08:42:19 -0800 (PST)
I would disagree with this statement, Chuck.

If it were up to me, I would say the ratio is more like 30/70%, yes 70% is the
teachers' contribution.  There is nothing like a teacher that does its job.

My son is now enrolled in an expensive private school, just for the same
reason:  The teachers at his school were plain bad.  Portsmouth, RI used to
have the second best school system in the state, but financial problem led to
having good teachers taking job in Mass and bad teachers coming to RI...I was
spending two hours at night teaching him what he was not able to get in class,
but the results were mediocre, since I couldnt go through all the material.
BTW, had Carl Seagan seen me in action, he would have been proud of me as I
borrowed his methods.

Which brings me to the point:  What constitutes a good teacher?  Someone who
does its job.  See, a teacher isnt someone who knows the material...they arent
trained in that.  They are supposed to be trained in approaches how to deliver
the material to the students.  So, a good teacher is the one who leaves the
classroom at the end of the class period confident that each of his students
got the material.  A great teacher is the one who inspires students to venture
further into the material.

Best

Boris