Re: [OM] photo gallery software

Subject: Re: [OM] photo gallery software
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 26 Dec 2010 08:08:23 +0000
Brian

I hesitated to answer this because it will add to someone's digest, but here
goes.  Moose and I were merely pointing out how a viewer might view your
galleries and images more easily, Brian.  There is nothing wrong with your
website, but we on the List are always going to offer suggestions like this,
unless you specifically reject them.

On 25 Dec 2010, at 20:30, Brian Swale wrote:

> http://www.brianswale.com/  pages,
> and I objected to doing that (because of the tedium of it, and the limited
> real
> estate available on each page).
>
> As I was mulling over these discussions in my sleep afterwards, I realised
> that these buttons ARE ALREADY THERE (not shouting) but maybe in a
> form that neither recognise.

I agree that it's a form that neither recognises (nor, perhaps, appreciates
:-)).

> Apart from a few early pages that I might not have corrected, EVERY image
> page has ALL the navigation buttons a visitor needs.
It has some navigation buttons, Brian, but none is available for moving from
image to image.

> On the left are the base level directories. These are addressed by absolute
> URLs not by relative URLs, so there should never be an error in getting
> there straight away.

> Similarly, on the right, are all the the major subject gallery addresses,
> again,
> as absolute URLs not as relative URLs. And once you have been to (say)
> the Flower gallery and want to return there, since your browser cache should
> still have all the link images etc, your return trip should be as fast as
> your
> browser software can re-display stuff from virtual memory.

> The buttons are already there. Every page has them.  Is that too hard?

I'm afraid that this misses the point, Brian.  Whether or not the thumbnails
are in cache (and that wasn't at issue), the viewer still has to navigate back
to each gallery's page to find the next image.  Moose's (and others')
suggestions were for systems to navigate direct from image to image.

> Next, as a result of this discussion, I realised that laptop computers and
> the
> like have become very popular. Yes, I'm not interested in one, but others
> are.
>
> I'm assuming that somebody using one if these with a screen smaller than
> 800 x 600 pixels can't be serious about purchasing an image because
> there's no way they will see a decent image of even the reduced size (400 x
> whatever pixels) that my subject pages have. They'll have to get on a decent
> machine.

I cannot believe that anyone who has found your galleries will have a screen
smaller than 800 x 600 pixels.  I've just viewed the website on a 13" screen
displaying 1280 x 800 pixels.
> SO, if you are using one of the newer laptops, and I presume with no rodent
> (mouse) how do you navigate from place to place?
I don't believe that it's possible now to buy a computer without a pointing
device.  It's possible practically to browse the Internet without a mouse or
some pointing device.  I use a trackpad on each computer at home.  In my
but that I prefer, when performing repetitive actions, to use my keyboard.
It's similar to using a spreadsheet: with repetitive actions I will use my
keyboard to navigate and perform those actions; it's quicker and much easier on
my arms and shoulders.

>  If you are doing a Google search, and from the middle of page 5 of the
> search, you want to go back to the previous page, how do you achieve that?
Page Back (3-finger swipe on my trackpad); or I might use Cmd-left arrow, why
do you ask?

> I'd actually like to do a survey on these pages to find out who uses such a
> laptop as their main computer, and who uses a desktop as their main
> computer. Just to get an idea of computer population trends.

I use a 13" laptop and a 24" desktop as my computers at home.  On either
display your website is quite small, and the thumbnails all but useless as
representations of the underlying image.  Whether or not you decide to
facilitate image-to-image navigation, I would strongly suggest that you
increase the size of both thumbnails and images.

Cheers

Chris