Re: [OM] Aw, hell, mama, you can have it!

Subject: Re: [OM] Aw, hell, mama, you can have it!
From: "Wayne Harridge" <wayneharridge@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2010 07:28:48 +1100

> Formerly, there was a great Kodakchrome lab in Melbourne, Australia,
> and
> turnaround was good and payment easy. Quality was tops. That was all
> great.
>
> Next, they killed off the Melbourne lab (and a host of others), and the
> nearest one was in Japan. As far as I know they weren't interested in
> forwarding films to Japan and arranging all that stuff.

It wasn't just the Kodachrome lab that was shut down in Melbourne, Kodak had
a large manufacturing plant for film and paper - that whole operation was
shut down in a few stages.

Anyway, I think what killed Kodachrome was the improvement in E-6 films and
the availability of small E-6 machines installed in mini-labs and pro-labs
offering a turn around of less than a day.

...Wayne