Re: [OM] Economics

Subject: Re: [OM] Economics
From: Bob Whitmire <bwhitmire@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2010 09:21:46 -0500
My very wealthy cousin lives in Cambridge, MA. Her daughters go to public
schools. I recall the family all had a good laugh back when they were deciding
what to do, and my cousin said she had ruled out the local Friends School, one
of which she had attended in NYC, because they said her daughter might be
discriminated against because she came from a two-parent home, both parents
being of the biological variety.

There likely are a lot of small towns in the U.S. where some form of pride in
education exists, and the public schools do a decent job. I've always argued
that a good education likely could be had at almost any public school, if one
wanted it bad enough. I know, some places are hopeless, but still, I don't
believe things are as bad as they sometimes sound.

Both of my sons are products of public education, and while the autistic one
might not stand as a shining example of intellectual achievement, he could help
other students spell and held the land speed record for keyboarding, at 40 wpm
with just one finger. Top that! <g>

--Bob Whitmire
www.bobwhitmire.com