Re: [OM] Economics

Subject: Re: [OM] Economics
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2010 10:13:37 -0800
> From: Rick Beckrich <rbeckrich@xxxxxxxxx>
>
> I've
> applied to
> reactivate my substitute teacher status in the local public school district.

In light of another discussion on this thread, I'm curious: as a sub, will you
be covered by collective bargaining, and will you have at least some fringe
benefits?

It was many years ago, but I recall my Mom voluntarily contributing to a fund
for substitute teachers, who were not covered by union contracts, and who were
paid less and got NO benefits whatsoever, not even the right to pay into the
group health care plan the salaried teachers had. They were pretty much serfs
at the base of the economic food chain.

On the other hand, I know a sub here in BC who gets paid much more than
salaried teachers, with the intent that they manage their own retirement and
other benefits -- sort of like engineering contractors do.

The [agricultural] revolution has deprived the mass of consumers of any
independent access to the staples of life: clothing, shelter, food, even water.
-- Wendell Berry