Re: [OM] fotos for fun - Weeks 51 and 52

Subject: Re: [OM] fotos for fun - Weeks 51 and 52
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 01 Jan 2011 11:18:03 -0800
On 1/1/2011 10:00 AM, Dean Hansen wrote:
> Happy New Year all,
>      It's interesting how the experiences one goes through in life will
> affect ones reaction to a photo.
>      The Wednesday before Christmas my wife returned from running some
> errands and found me slumped unconscious across a small table in the kitchen.
>  Long story short, Santa brought me a spankin' new pacemaker the morning of
> Christmas Eve day.  Not in my stocking, but under my skin below my left
> collarbone.  My best Christmas present ever was getting discharged from the
> hospital Christmas day.

Oof! I'm so glad it worked out well.

My mother had a similar experience. Visiting high, hot, dry, dry desert in
central Utah for her granddaughter's wedding,
she fainted and was rushed to the hospital. Although the proximate cause was
dehydration, altitude and exhaustion, they
consulted with her cardiologist, and close friend, here and put in a pacemaker.

Although they routinely checked it and later checked it when other medical
issues and crises occurred, it virtually
never had to do anything, simply quietly monitoring her heartbeat for years.
I'm a little fuzzy on details, but seem to
recall that it did kick in during a crisis originating elsewhere, which
initially confused the ER folks, until I told
them the 'anomalies' they were concerned about in her heart rhythm were likely
the pacemaker they had yet to notice in
the craziness kicking in briefly a few times.

She also came home for Christmas day a few years ago, much to her joy and that
of the assembled clan of children and
grandchildren.

>      I don't mean to sound dramatic, but IanW's photo, Hello Grandpa, brought
> tears to my eyes:
> <http://thattimeoflife.smugmug.com/Portfolio/2010-fewfotos-closecalls/11039951_NUphX#1141819629_DAPXs-L-LB>
> Under different circumstances, I may have simply shrugged, "Well, not me."
> This one hit very close to home, however.

Yup, it reminded me of hospital visits of children and grandchildren with my
late wife, late mother and still very much
alive sister in law - may she live forever. Very moving.

>      No need for concern, or condolences--the pacemaker simply corrected a
> very slow pulse rate.  This was nothing like having stents or bypass surgery.
>  I was back to normal in a day.
>      Best wishes to all for a great 2011.

The same to you - especially for heart and health!

Moose