Re: [OM] Nathan's PAD 30/12/2010: the Puerto Rico that few tourists see

Subject: Re: [OM] Nathan's PAD 30/12/2010: the Puerto Rico that few tourists see
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 01 Jan 2011 15:14:05 -0800
On 1/1/2011 8:23 AM, Bob Whitmire wrote:
> Makes me hungry. I, too, seek out the local spots, even where I am a
> local.<g>  There are many good tourist restaurants in Maine, but there are
> many more wonderful, out-of-the-way places that will set your taste buds
> a'quiverin'.

Ah yes, you tipped us to a couple on the Island, to which I would add the cafe
in SW Harbor. Looks like an ordinary
diner, but the ingredients are carefully chosen and prepared. Inexpensive, good
food and atmosphere and a change from
the more pretentious places. Did you mention Grumpy's, or did we find it
ourselves? In any case, good breakfast place
with great views. Both places run by the owners and their wives.

If you are ever heading near them, The Old Goat in Richmond has really
excellent panninis and a super selection of beer.
Beth's in Bridgton is excellent for breakfast/lunch. The Portsmouth Brewing Co.
just off the pike in downtown has good
food, if you are hungry along that stretch. Not that wild about their own
brews, though.

Thought I was done, but some more came to mind. The little place by the ferry
dock in Port Clyde was excellent the one
time we tried it. In Bar Harbor, The Thirsty Whale on Cottage is more a local's
hangout than tourist place with good pub
food at reasonable, for BH, prices, good brews. I like the omelets at Cafe This
Way, but the Eggs Benedict are better at
Grumpy's.

Now I'm hungry! Time to go snack while I make a meatloaf.

Moose